1909 Ridgway, Colorado Flour Mill & Power Company Corporate Seal
Item #: 050500A
A one-of-a-kind collectible from beautiful Ridgway, Colorado. This is an original corporate seal in very good condition. The Ridgway Flour Mill opened in Ridgway, Colorado on November 9th, 1893. It ran most of the time until 1914, according to newspaper articles. It was located on the north side of Sherman Street, which is now Highway 62. The mill was owned by Charles and Elizabeth Nix. In 1909 there was a reorganization of the flour mill and incorporation papers were filed with the Secretary of State for the Ridgway Flour Mill and Power Company. There is lengthy and very interesting information about the complicated series of property transactions and history of the Ridgway Flour Mill and Power Company in Doris H. Gregory's 1991 book, "The Town That Refused To Die, Ridgway, Colorado 1890-1991", on pages 30 to 33. We have added an article from the Ouray Plaindealer newspaper which was printed originally on December 25th, 1910, recounting the day electricity came to Ridgway, an exciting event celebrated by the whole county, with a special excursion train run by the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad to Ridgway from Ouray, with over 100 citizens enjoying the new and exciting electrical power and lighting in Ridgway. The flour mill building was destroyed by fire and an explosion of unknown origins which killed three people and injured many, on January 5th, 1957. This corporate seal is a very important survivor of the time. This corporate seal has black enamel paint over cast iron. The seal has gold pinstriping, with gold and red shooting stars painted on each side. There are two holes in the base to attach it to a flat surface. The handle top has nickelplate finish. The corporate seal itself is brass, and cast into the seal is: "Ridgway Flour Mill And Power Company Incorporated Seal, 1909, Colorado." The seal was manufactured by the Hoeckel Company, Denver, Colorado, which is impressed on top of the brass seal. The corporate seal is 9 ¾" tall, 2" wide, and 6" long. Aside from some minor paint chipping, wear to the nickelplate on the handle, and a little dirt from age and use, this is a unique collectible which certainly deserves a very special place in YOUR collection!